Tuesday, November 30, 2010

advent begins

for the past two years, Seth has emailed these great Advent reflections, and since the season started on saturday, I felt like I should dig up some of these reflections, as well as, post some of my favorite season appropriate songs and poems. So today, with the time I have, I have been listening, over and over, to this song. It's just a lovely song but then the second verse....there! that is the Christian narrative. Is there anything else more vital to know about the nature of our God? I find the story to be really simply inspiring to my life--and this season is a really good time to reflect on how our lives should look as we wait upon the coming of our Lord.

Once in royal David's city
stood a lowly cattle shed,
where a mother laid her baby
in a manger for his bed:
Mary was that mother mild,
Jesus Christ her little child.

He came down to earth from heaven,
who is God and Lord of all,
and his shelter was a stable,
and his cradle was a stall;
with the poor, the scorned, the lowly,
lived on earth our Savior holy.

And our eyes at last shall see him,
through his own redeeming love;
for that Child who seemed so helpless
is our Lord in heaven above;
and he leads his children on
to the place where he is gone.



[I have to admit that the only Christmas albums I ever listen to are the Hark! It's Christmas! or whatever they're called by Sufjan Stevens. But Seth just dug up the Bright Eyes and Low Christmas albums! YES! totally indie!]

No comments:

Post a Comment