Monday, January 11, 2010

To begin, some quotes.


This is Brooke, and I am getting married to Seth James Forwood on May 29th, 2010. I feel that besides our "wedding website page" that a blog could be a nice way for us to share our journey through marriage and life with our community, especially when some of our closest friends and family live furthest away....
I imagine posting occasionally with readings from our favorite authors, thoughts, plans for our future (which will admittedly include wedding plans at first), and eventually videos, and pictures, and stories about our growing family.

I am so excited about our future. I'm so thankful there are so many people we have to share it with.

To begin this blog, I have been itching to share some quotes from the essay (is it an essay, Seth?) "Preparing for Christian Marriage" by John McFadden and David McCarthy. I feel the following show exactly where Seth and I are coming from when we announce to the public on May 29th, that we are "married."

This essay explains thoroughly how marriage should work, and what its purpose should be.
1. "a heathy marriage is understood as enabling a husband and wife to offer deeper and richer gifts to the wider community than they could ever do individually."
2. "Marriage in this sense is counter-cultural in a society so thoroughly steeped in individualism, for it is centered in the conviction that we have given ourselves to a relationship that is more important than our individual wants and wishes.....Such a healthy marriage offers an alternative to a consumerist, individualist world, insofar as it puts into action the possibility of a deeper, more gracious way of life."

I feel that these two quotes outline entirely the purpose of marriage and what Seth and I will be living, together, for.

Ack....I have gotten carried away and I haven't even explained myself, but I have to go to work.
I am sure this will continue, maybe with discussions about submission, compromise, and "freedom."

Anyways, excuse my brief parting when I say: have a blessed day

much more later.

1 comment:

  1. Brooke,
    This is so wonderful that those of us who love you but are far away can feel closer to you and Seth by reading your memories. This "proposal" made me cry. Seth is a wonderful guy and obviously loves you very much, so I love him. I know you will both be so happy and you will have a beautiful "farm". I can't wait to see where your lives take you. God Bless. Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete